Working in Peru

working-visa-peruIf you want to work in Peru you will need a special visa called “el Carné de extranjeria” which could be translated as “Foreign Resident ID Card”. With the Carné de extranjeria you are allowed to work in Peru and you don’t have a limit on the number of days you can stay. However you will need to pay $20 US Dollars a year and an initial fee of $200 US Dollars.

Other than being married to a Peruvian or having Peruvian family, to apply for the Carné de extranjeria you will need to have a contract with a company that wants to hire you. The contract must be for a year minimum. Unfortunately it is more complicated for companies to hire a foreigner than to hire a Peruvian and they are only allowed to hire a certain amount of foreigners to their company.

If you find a way to get hired, then you need to fill in this form: and pay $49.90 USD to the Banco de la Nacion. You will bring the receipt of your payment together with a copy of your passport and a copy of you TAM card (the paper you received at the airport when entering Peru).

Next you book an appointment with INTERPOL where you take an exam and pay the fee of $200 USD at the Banco de la Nacion and an additional of $20 USD for an inscription in the “Foreigners Register”.

You will also need to hand in 2 photos in “tamaño carnet” size (similar to passport size but ask at the place where you take your photos for “tamaño carnet”). Finally, you also need to fill in this document. This ensures that you haven’t committed any criminal activities in Peru or in any other country.

Please note that if you are applying for the Carné de extranjeria as a family member to an officer, due to a religious commitment in Peru or as a refugee, the conditions are different.

Also note that the process of applying for the Carné de extranjeria can be a bit complicated and the procedure is not always the same for everyone so make sure that you ask about the details of the procedure at the immigration office. Not all speak English so if you aren’t fluent in Spanish make sure you bring someone who can translate for you.