Entering Peru

visit-peruEntering Peru is quite easy. Already shortly before landing the stewardesses on your airplane will hand you the “Tarjeta Andina de Migracion” (TAM) and a customs declaration form. If you are entering by land, you get the forms at the border.

The Andean Migration Card is available in Spanish and English. Fill out your personal data and after disembarking hand it together with your passport to the immigration officer at the immigration control. If you are not obliged to apply for a visa at a Peruvian consulate in your home country before entering Peru, the officer will stamp your passport and write a number on or next to the stamp indicating the numbers of days you are allowed to stay in the country. Even though the maximum stay on a tourist visa is 183 days, the immigration officers reserve the right to grant any number of days up to 183 days they think appropriate. Make sure you get the amount of days on your tourist visa at immigration you intent to stay in Peru. The upper part of the TAM stays with immigrations; the bottom part is handed back to you.

Take good care of your part of the TAM! Hotel personal will ask you for it when checking in as you are exempted from paying 18% Peruvian VAT on your bill. Additionally you need it again when leaving the country. If you lose the TAM, a duplicate can be issued by Migraciones, Peru’s Immigration Office located in BreƱa or at the airport.

At customs hand in your filled out customs declaration form. Below find a listing of items you can temporarily bring duty-free into the country. Please note: if you are carrying more than US$ 10,000.- in cash when entering or leaving the country, you have to declare it. Carrying amounts over US$ 30,000.- is forbidden when entering or leaving Peru.

Check out as well two short videos about the procedures when arriving and departing from Lima International Airport.